Saturday, July 4, 2009

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Warning!!! This may not apply to you. In that case YOU ARE AWESOME. I have not been so awesome in my own life.....but I am learning!



When I look at our culture one of the biggest abuses I see is a wide spread lack of respect for others. We are in every one's business, everywhere. We tell people what they should do, what they should not do etc., etc. There is very little respect for one's privacy, choices or personal beliefs. Aretha Franklin's song Respect comes to mind. Yes, I believe there are moral absolutes, but I am to play God in people's lives? If people don't want my opinion I generally don't give it. If they don't desire my "teaching" or correction I am simply wasting my time and theirs offering it. I may have the best intentions, but do you remember what was once said about good intentions? Sometimes I mess up and cross over the line and for those errors I sincerely ask for forgiveness. I have had a taste of that from others from time to time and it doesn't feel good.

When someone knows you care about them and respect them generally they will desire and value your opinion. They will probably ASK for it and that is the best time to give it! I absolutely love this quote:

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." Unknown Author.

I also really love this scripture:

1 Peter 3:15:15
But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully.

If we don't have relationship with people, how can we expect them to value our knowledge? Relationship builds that bridge, but we can still abuse it in our lack of sensitivity and respect for the boundaries of others.

Arguing is also vain. It accomplishes nothing but building up the "self" if I happen to win. This is not the victory I desire. This is not the victory anyone should desire. I won, but what was the award? Broken relationships are the trophies. Some trophy! Offense, strife and misunderstandings are the rotten and stinking fruit of arguing and having to be seen as "right".

Job 6:25 How painful are honest words! But what does your argument prove?

My God respects the free will of mankind to choose Him or to reject Him. He is a Gentleman and non imposing. He knocks at the door and WAITS for us to answer. He doesn't force Himself on anyone. If our witness is a weak one, could it be that we lack respect for others? If our relationships are weak, could it be that we don't truly respect, love or invest in the lives of others?

"He removes the greatest ornament of friendship, who takes away from it respect." Cicero

Just thoughts from More Than A Conqueror

No comments: