Saturday, July 11, 2009

People Who Bite (Yes, My Mind Works A Bit Differently Than Others)


No, this one is not about vampires. I think my kids would probably think it was really cool if it was, with the current Twilight movie trend. This one is about prickly people. You know ones I am talking about, those people that try to take a chunk out of you when you get near them. I suppose all of us have been that way at least once or twice in our lives. Well, maybe some of us a bit more than that perhaps? But some people, it seems, know no other way to be. I think that is tragically sad. My focus isn't only on the reasons they became that way, but on an appropriate response to them. It would be helpful to understand them better although that does nothing to curtail their mood or destructive actions. It is really hard not to blow it sometimes and react in kind. Seems the only variable that is controllable in circumstances such as these is our own reactions to their behavior. The feelings that try to sneak in are even harder to get a handle on.


I have a fascination with Cesar Millan, star of The Dog Whisperer. I think he is really on to something and not just with canines. Honestly, I think the guy is brilliant! You probably think I am a bit strange, but check out an episode or two and you will know exactly what I am talking about. I have a miniature dachshund and if you know much about the breed you know how dominant they can be if you let them.


So here I was one night watching The Dog Whisperer and checking out Cesar in action and I began wondering why some people are just always in a bad mood and are difficult to get along with, like the dogs he was working with. I thought about dogs. I thought about "unbalanced" dogs, "fearful" dogs, "dominant" dogs and "vicious" dogs etc., etc. I think people are not much different in that respect. People are unbalanced because they have been given wrong information about who they are. People are fearful because they have been hurt and wounded at some point in their lives and can't move forward because of the memory. People are overly dominant because they under the mistaken assumption that they must be in control of any given situation. People are vicious I think because because they are in mental anguish. Truly, I think it all comes down to fear. Have you seen that insane chihuahua episode? That dog looks like it is demon possessed or something! It might have something to do with the fact that death for him means someone sitting in the wrong chair, I don't know.


Fear is the opposite of faith. Fear communicates a lack of trust. Fear is defined as: a feeling of agitation and anxiety caused by the presence or imminence of danger. Faith on the other hand is defined as: confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing. So can we say that difficult, angry, unkind people in general are probably very fearful people? Seems like it to me.


So how do I react? I am a pretty sensitive person. It isn't hard for me to feel wounded and captured in my own fleshly pity party. I am being completely transparent with you. Cesar would say that I am creating unbalance in the "animal" by behaving that way. It shows weakness. If I get angry at their assault and bite back that is also interpreted by them as weakness and will increase the anxiety and fear in the "animal". The correct response would be "calm, assertive" behavior. Well, what does this look like I wondered?


I looked to the Bible, sorry Cesar but Jesus trumps you and me, and I searched out what reaction Jesus had towards his biggest critics and accusers. These dudes got down right ugly. The Pharisees were harsh. They continually misrepresented God as a "can't wait to rain fire and brimstone on you" type of deity. They missed the point and message of Jesus all together. They were well studied and they got the truth part right some of the time because of all their "knowledge", but completely missed the love part (which is kinda central, don't you think?). They made a big deal about things that really didn't matter. They were committed to truth at any cost, and they didn't care who they destroyed in order to protect that truth. I'd say they were a bit "prickly" wouldn't you? Jesus was not threatened by their heavy handed attacks and threats. He was "calm and assertive". He is the "Truth" and He was sitting right there under their noses and they were completely blind to it.


Matthew 15


10 Then Jesus called to the crowd to come and hear. “Listen,” he said, “and try to understand. 11 It’s not what goes into your mouth that defiles you; you are defiled by the words that come out of your mouth.”
12 Then the disciples came to him and asked, “Do you realize you offended the Pharisees by what you just said?”
13 Jesus replied, “Every plant not planted by my heavenly Father will be uprooted, 14 so ignore them. They are blind guides leading the blind, and if one blind person guides another, they will both fall into a ditch.”
and also
Ephesians 4

15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:


They couldn't rattle him and He was no wimp. He didn't run away from confrontation. He didn't argue with them in vain. He simply said it like it was and did it in a calm manner. He sounds pretty "balanced" to me!


Father, please help me to not get caught up in my own emotions and personalize fiery darts that come my way. It is no surprise that they come, because your Word says they will. Help me to react in a way that honors You. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments: