Sunday, February 23, 2014

No Man's Land




As human beings we look for formulas. We try to figure things out. Sometimes we find them. Sometimes we don't. When all the pieces fit together nicely and things work we are happy. These successful endeavors build our confidence that whatever the problem, if we work hard enough and long enough we will find success, solve the problem or complete the equation. For a while, maybe for most of our lives, this little theory works very nicely. We look pretty good. Everything is going our way. Folks come along and inquire why it seems to be working so well for us and not for them and we just give them our "sage" advice and decide they must not be trying hard enough or there was some error in the process they are using. Maybe we give them a book by Joel Osteen or Zig Ziglar. (A little humor there) We may even experience a few speed bumps along the way ourselves, but we overcome and are able to formulate faith in our abilities and skills. Things seem to be working pretty well for us!

One day something comes into our lives that is bigger than anything we have tackled before. We are not intimidated. We employ the formula. We take on the challenge! After all we have been so successful before. This is no problem. We hit a brick wall. What just happened? We try the experiment again and same result. We do it over and over again and nothing! On that day we learn that our theory was incorrect and our methods are lacking. That’s a hard day. Sometimes that day stretches into years. It’s devastating. It’s depressing. Some of us, me, even knowing the truth deep down inside, refuse to give up. We won’t even consider that we might be unsuccessful. If anyone comes along raining on our parade we get away from that individual as fast as we can! We convince ourselves they were sent by the competition to weaken our resolve and we will not hear them! We won’t even entertain those thoughts! We keep trying and fighting that little voice inside that says, “Your way isn’t going to work.” We stifle that little voice inside and decide it must be from hell. We hold on to our hope so hard that are knuckles practically turn white and everything, and I mean everything and everyone else in our life is neglected. We consult the experts. We read all the books. Somewhere, somehow there has got to be an answer to this equation.  Our friends, what is left of them (remember the neglect part) are on the side lines rooting for us, helping us to drown out the little voice that “might” be coming from hell. They mean well. But, that voice isn’t from hell……

Would it surprise you to learn that I believe in God? From what I have written above it seems I put a whole lot of confidence in my own abilities, doesn’t it? Not exactly. What if I told you my “methods”, my “tools” in all this were faith and prayer? Prayer worked pretty nicely for me for a lot of years. I really thought I had a lot of faith too. It was pretty successful for me. I saw results. Then one day I saw nothing. I began to examine all the variables. What was I doing wrong? It all seemed to be working and then one day it just didn’t anymore.

In the church I was taught that if you pester God enough he will answer your prayer. Boy, I was an expert at pestering!! The verses below are pulled out of context to support that point.

Luke 18:3-5

And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary. And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man; Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.

We have been taught, at least I have that “God” represents the judge and we represent the widow. That is how I approached everything in my life. Just keep asking, begging, pleading and eventually He will give in and give me what I perceive I need. He will just get tired and hand it over!

I can’t and won’t take credit for another man’s revelation. What I am about to share was revealed to me because it was first revealed to this man. Regardless, it confirmed something I believe Abba has been showing me for some time that I just didn’t want to take hold of it. To take hold of this truth was far too scary a proposition. It defeats my “formula.”

First, do know, we have a loving Father. His character is not like the judge described in Luke 18:2
Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:

This judge did not fear God and he had no regard for man. He was hard, uncaring and unethical having no respect for the commandments of God. Does that sound like our Father to you? He did not care for men. Yet our scriptures tell us that Father loves us so much He even sent His son to die for us! So that being said, Yeshua is not describing His Father when he speaks of this judge. He is drawing a comparison explaining that Father is good and not at all like that judge.

Luke 18:7-8


And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?
 

Will you trust Him? Will He find faith on the earth?

 

A few years ago my oldest son was in an accident late at night. I was asleep when we got the call. My whole body shook until I found out that he was OK. After that I prayed and prayed constantly that Father would keep him safe. I had developed almost a superstition that if I didn’t pray constantly Father would allow another accident. One night, months later, my son was again working late and I began my silent begging of safety for my son. I clearly heard within me a voice that said, “I heard you the first time.” My begging Abba simply communicated lack of trust. I have stopped asking more than once. Last fall I faced a similar test when my daughter had a much more serious accident when we were out of town. I had to wrestle myself that entire night to surrender that situation to Father. Or was I wrestling with myself?  I know He hears me and I am so sorry I doubted that.

These 3 words used to send shockwaves through my system…………

But if not,

They come from Daniel 3:13-18.....

 Then Nebuchadnezzar in his rage and fury commanded to bring Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Then they brought these men before the king.
Nebuchadnezzar spake and said unto them, Is it true, O Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, do not ye serve my gods, nor worship the golden image which I have set up?
Now if ye be ready that at what time ye hear the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and dulcimer, and all kinds of musick, ye fall down and worship the image which I have made; well: but if ye worship not, ye shall be cast the same hour into the midst of a burning fiery furnace; and who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, answered and said to the king, O Nebuchadnezzar, we are not careful to answer thee in this matter.
If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.
 
 


I have a very difficult situation and have for a number of years. It looks as it the answer to my prayer may be no in this situation. It certainly is wait if nothing else. Please consider the youths.

Just like I misused prayer, I have also misused faith. I freely confess that to you. My faith was not in my Creator. My faith was in my hope that He would do what I wanted Him to do. In putting my faith in my hope I, again, was communicating to Him, that I did not trust Him.

You see, I have come to understand after many years of wrestling with this, that He is my Abba. He loves me. He loves my son. However, He sees things I do not and His ways are far above mine and if He says “wait” or even “no”, and even if it causes me great pain, it is for a reason. There is and has always been a purpose. The youths understood that. They continued to be faithful even in the face of death. They knew He was more than able to save them but He may chose not to. They did go into the fire. They stepped into No Man’s Land. The guards were consumed as they ushered them into the fire.

They trusted Him….no matter what…..and that is Faith.

No comments: