Friday, November 29, 2013

Letter from a Judaizer







 

(Well, honesty, I am not. However that is the perception...... so let’s go with it for a while.)

Dear Friend,

First let me express my love for you, my brother and my sister. It was so good to see you. I have truly missed you! I mean that from the bottom of my heart. We went through so much together over the years and I really thought of you as family. I just knew when things got tough you’d have my back no matter what! Through all the church splits, controversy, drama and general difficulties of life I thought we’d always be in one another’s corner through good times and bad….

When we ran into each other in the parking lot at the grocery store recently and you asked me what was going on and how everyone was I could feel the tension in your voice. I knew you didn’t really want an answer to that question. At least not an honest one. The rumor mill had made its rounds and you’d already formed an opinion of me and of my family. I hesitated and chose my words carefully to protect your comfort. Your comfort is what you wanted right? In the past when I have run into old church friends they seem a little shocked and possibly appalled by what I have excitedly shared with them. I have learned honesty is not necessarily what they are looking for. I suppose I cannot blame them. So I know why you were nervous as we spoke. The truth demands an examination and who wants that?! Our lives have radically changed over the last 4 years and it has become very obvious to anyone who knows us. You seemed worried that what I have, and what my family has, might be contagious! So rather than give you details you did not want to hear I politely answered and generalized for your benefit. Or was it for your benefit? I have to admit I am little confused by that.

I am fine. My husband and children are fine. The sky is blue…………etc., etc. We used to share our hearts and now we are sharing the weather report with one another. As we depart and go our separate ways you say, “I will call you” and “We will get together sometime”. The thing is, you have said that the last 5 times I have ran into you here. I really wish you would tell the truth. I think that would be easier to handle than the façade.

The truth has become pretty important to us. I guess you could say He has become everything to us. You see we don’t go to “church” anymore. We realized we are the church and we assemble with others from time to time and especially on the Feast days (in Leviticus). We keep the Sabbath because our Messiah did and nowhere in scripture was that changed. In fact the Catholic Church admits to changing it.  (I really respect their honesty, don’t you ) We don’t have a pastor anymore because we learned we have only have one Teacher, one Head, and one Shepherd and we are all brethren and are to serve one another in humility. (1 Cor. 11, Mat. 23, 1 John 2 etc.) We don’t keep Christmas or other popular “Holidays” anymore as we learned of their disturbing pagan origins and it seems God really doesn’t like that! (Jeremiah 10,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZAL80TMLaE&feature=youtu.be etc., etc.)  Christmas is not in scripture and it’s easy to find out that Messiah wasn’t born on December 25th. Nowhere in scripture are we told to celebrate the birthday of Jesus, but we are commanded to remember his death and resurrection in the Passover. Don't even get me started on Easter.

We have found such rich blessing in our marriage and family in keeping The Feasts of the Lord and His commands. There is nothing in scripture that tells us not to. On the contrary we have found that keeping His commandments demonstrates our love for Him and He has asked us to keep them in Scripture…..even in the red words! (John 14)

So a lot has changed with us. It has been wonderful and difficult at the same time. Wonderful because we have grown so much closer to our God and have seen His hand in our lives like never before! Difficult because just being “us” and walking this out has made us Judaizers in your book. The thing is we have never answered a question you didn’t ask. Regardless we are seen as having some sort of contagious disease that you might contract if you come in contact with us. Some who are a little bolder than you have actually asked us if we have become Jewish. No, we don’t practice Judaism but perhaps a sect of it called “the Way”. We are just trying to be obedient.

I often wonder, if I am that lost and have “fallen from grace”, why are you not discussing it with me? Why are you not trying to get me “saved”? Where have you gone? Am I not worth the effort? If I am deceived can you show me how? I have to wonder if you really love me. I love you and I miss you. I think as hard as it would be to not agree with one another it’s harder still to not have relationship with you. Can we understand one another, not agree and still maintain fellowship? I don’t need you to agree with me to love you.

I am sorry that I make you uncomfortable. That isn’t my intention. My intention is to be like my Messiah and live and walk as He did. I guess that makes me pretty unattractive to you.

Well, stay comfortable friend. It’s hard on this side and the road is really narrow!

 

More than a Conqueror

No comments: