Sunday, August 2, 2009

Rain



Seems it never rains in Southern California


Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before


It never rains in California


But girl, don't they warn ya


It pours man it pours


If you are my age you probably remember that song. I never have been a big fan of rain. I don't know if it comes from being raised mostly in a very sunny place or what. In the past I have seen rain as dark, depressing and lonely. My association with it probably comes from one of the most difficult, yet amazing times of my life, spent in the Seattle area many years ago. It was a difficult time in my life, but also one of the most intimate times I have ever experienced with God. It rained for for almost two months solid when we moved there. It was drenched outside, and it seemed a cloud hung over me inside my home as well. It was a dark time and a dark place but God met me there. He showed me during that time that He would never leave me and our relationship transformed into something very personal and very real. He was in my every moment and I learned that the world can be falling apart around you and you can still have all you need....in Him. I learned a deep dependence on God that I had never known before. Those years were very difficult, but they were also a very glorious time in my life.


Eventually the sun came back. I had my doubts that it would at that time, but thankfully it did. It had been dark for so long and I had learned to function in that state. When the sun appeared I staggered back into the light and struggled to adjust my vision to the bright light. I eventually got the color back in my face and the bounce back in my step. I was grateful for the sun but even more grateful for the lessons I learned in the rain. I thought maybe that might be the last time that kind of rain came into my life. I hoped so anyway. As much as I enjoyed the close fellowship with God during that time it was a period of time that I did not want to repeat. However, we do live in an imperfect world and rain will come from time to time.


I think you can look at rain one of two ways. Rain does bring darkness, but it also brings refreshment. Rain can keep you inside alone and isolated or you can choose to go outside and dance in the rain anyway. Rain can make you sleepy and you will have to rest, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. When the rain comes you will get wet, but you will get clean too!


I recently have had a time of rain in my life. This one has lasted for a good while. I can see the sun starting to peek through the clouds. Again He has met me during this time. Even if sometimes it was so stormy that it was hard to see Him I could feel His presence. I know that I will look back on this season of rain and take away from it some good things.


Matthew 5:45:45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike.


Heavenly Father I lift up anyone who might be reading this that is hoping the rain will go away and I ask you to meet them there and help them to embrace the truths you will bring to them during this time. Put your arms around them and bring them comfort and strength and whisper hope into their ears like you have for me. I give you Praise for the rain. In Jesus name, Amen.
More Than A Conqueror

No comments: