Friday, August 21, 2009

Identification Please....


I was walking on my treadmill earlier this week and listening to a well known teacher whom I am a great fan of. She said something that really struck a cord with me. She was speaking about the temptation of Christ in the wilderness. She referenced the following passage:
Matthew 4
1Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

The point she made, that really hit home with me, was the If and the It is written part. Satan made the statement "If you are the Son of God". The first thing Satan attempted to do to Jesus was to make Him doubt who He was. I have read this verse countless times over the years and I never noticed the "if" before!
The first thing Satan will most often do when we are in the wilderness is to try to cause us to doubt who God says we are. Wow, talk about mind blowing! Do you have or have you had thoughts like: "you must not be a christian if you do/say that", "you couldn't possibly be God's child and behave like that" or "you are just not good enough to be a christian". The possibilities and scenarios are endless. The point is that our adversary, the devil, seeks to devour your perception of the truth. He seeks to get you to doubt your identity in Christ.
The Bible is very clear about who the believer is. The Bible is your sword and it was the sword Jesus used to defeat Satan in that moment. Read verse 4 again.
4But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
Jesus didn't argue with Satan, nor did he try to explain to Satan who He was. He basically said, "look Satan, it doesn't matter what you say, because IT IS WRITTEN and all that matters is what God says." This passage was about much more than just being hungry in the wilderness folks!
So listen up! It doesn't matter what the world says, because IT IS WRITTEN. It doesn't matter what your enemies say, because IT IS WRITTEN. It doesn't matter what what anyone says about who you are, because who you are....IS WRITTEN!
If you are a believer in Jesus Christ and you have made him Lord and Savior of your life then you need to know who God says you are. It is truly foundational and an important part of defending yourself against the attacks of the enemy. Here is a sampling, but I encourage you to feast on the Word of God yourself.
Who I Am In Christ


I am accepted...

John 1:12
I am God's child.

John 15:15
As a disciple, I am a friend of Jesus Christ.

Romans 5:1
I have been justified.

1 Corinthians 6:17
I am united with the Lord, and I am one with Him in spirit.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I have been bought with a price and I belong to God.

1 Corinthians 12:27
I am a member of Christ's body.

Ephesians 1:3-8
I have been chosen by God and adopted as His child.
Colossians 1:13-14
I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins.

Colossians
2:9-10
I am complete in Christ.

Hebrews 4:14-16
I have direct access to the throne of grace through Jesus Christ.


I am secure...

Romans 8:1-2
I am free from condemnation.

Romans 8:28
I am assured that God works for my good in all circumstances.

Romans 8:31-39
I am free from any condemnation brought against me and I cannot be separated from the love of God.

2 Corinthians 1:21-22
I have been established, anointed and sealed by God.

Colossians
3:1-4
I am hidden with Christ in God.

Philippians 1:6
I am confident that God will complete the good work He started in me.

Philippians 3:20
I am a citizen of heaven.

2 Timothy 1:7
I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind.

1 John 5:18
I am born of God and the evil one cannot touch me.



I am significant...

John 15:5
I am a branch of Jesus Christ, the true vine, and a channel of His life.

John 15:16
I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit.

1 Corinthians 3:16
I am God's temple.

2 Corinthians 5:17-21
I am a minister of reconciliation for God.

Ephesians 2:6
I am seated with Jesus Christ in the heavenly realm.
Ephesians 2:10
I am God's workmanship.

Ephesians 3:12
I may approach God with freedom and confidence.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
Your friend, More Than A Conqueror.
P.S. If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ and want to be click here http://www.ficm.org/receivec.htm

No comments: